Enchiladas Verdes, with a simple homemade roasted tomatillo sauce that will make your tastebuds rock out. Plus chicken and cheese and tortillas. Super yum.
For the Roasted Tomatillo Sauce:
- 15 medium-sized tomatillos, husks removed
- 3 jalapeno peppers, ribs and seeds removed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh packed cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
For the Enchiladas Verdes:
- 10 or so 8-inch tortillas – corn or flour will work
- 12 ounces shredded cheese – Pepper Jack or Monterrey Jack are my favorites
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, shredded
- additional mix-ins like sautéed mushrooms, white beans, spinach, or whatever is striking your fancy
- Make the Sauce: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place tomatillos and jalapeños on the baking sheet. Wrap peeled garlic in foil and add to baking sheet. Drizzle everything with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway to prevent excessive scorching. Pulse everything in a blender (including juices). Add other sauce ingredients, blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Make the Filling: In a large bowl, combine about one third of the sauce (2 or so cups) with the chicken. Stir in about half of the cheese and any other mix-ins you want.
- Make the Enchiladas Verdes: Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Place filling on tortillas, roll up, and arrange in pan, seam side down. Cover with another cup or two of sauce and remaining cheese (just eyeball it). Bake for about 15 minutes, until bubbly and delish. Top with cilantro or cotija or red onion – all your favorite standbys are welcome.
You can make this really low maintenance by just layering all the ingredients like a lasagna. It ends up more like a casserole and it’s very delicious. (See this recipe.)
This makes a lot of sauce, so you might have 1-2 cups of sauce left over for later. Lucky you!
Dipping the tortillas in hot water, hot oil, or the sauce real quick before rolling them up is always a good idea. Keeps everything nice and soft while baking.
Calories Per Serving: 436
% DAILY VALUE
20%Total Fat 12.8g
14%Total Carbohydrate 40.5g
6%Vitamin A 89.2µg
81%Vitamin C 48.4mg