The Elizabeth bridge is the one of the biggest bridge in the country.
Komárno (Hungarian: Komárom, colloquially Révkomárom, Öregkomárom, Észak-Komárom, German: Komorn, Serbian: Komoran/Коморан) is a town in Slovakia at the confluence of the Danube and the Váh rivers. Komárno was formed from part of a historical town in Hungarysituated on both banks of the Danube. Following World War I and the Treaty of Trianon, the border of the newly created Czechoslovakia cut the historical, unified town in half, creating two new towns. The smaller part, based on the former suburb of Újszőny, is in present-day Hungary as Komárom (the historical Hungarian town had the same name). Komárno and Komárom are connected by the Elisabeth Bridge, which used to be a border crossing between Slovakia and Hungary until border checks were lifted due to the Schengen Area rules.
Komárno is Slovakia’s principal port on the Danube. It is also the center of the Hungarian community in Slovakia, which makes up roughly 60% of the town’s population. The town is the historic seat of the Serbian national minority in Slovakia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kom%C3%A1rno
Komárom (Slovak: Komárno, German: Komorn) is a city in Hungary on the south bank of the Danube in Komárom-Esztergom county. Komárno, Slovakia, is on the northern bank. Komárom was formerly a separate village called Újszőny. In 1492 Komárom and Ujjszőny were connected with an iron bridge and in 1496 the three towns were united under the name city of Komárom. The fortress played an important role in the Hungarian Revolution of 1848 and many contemporary English sources refer to it as the Fortress of Comorn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kom%C3%A1rom
Following the Hungarian conquest of the Carpathian Basin at the turn of the 9th and 10th centuries, Prince Árpád gave Komárom and the Komárom county vicinity to tribal chieftain Ketel. Ketel was the first known ancestor of the famous Koppán (genus) clan. At the beginning of the 12th century, this tribe founded the town’s Benedictine Monastery in honor of the Blessed Virgin, mentioned in 1222 by the name of Monostorium de Koppán. The Turks destroyed much of the monastery and its surroundings in 1529, and the area was thus depopulated. Later references refer to it as the Pioneer Monastery (Pusztamonostor). Presently, it is called Koppánymonostor (Koppán’s Monastery) in honor of its founding family. Roman ruins (including a stone mile marker and watchtowers) still stand today. 
The town was heavily damaged in the 1763 Komárom earthquake.
Between 1850 and 1871 the Fort Monostor (Monostori Erőd) was built nearby.
In 1918 Komárom was split by the newly created border of Czechoslovakia. In 1920 Hungary was forced to sign the Treaty of Trianon recognizing the new imposed borders including the border with Czecho-Slovakia. The loss of its territory created a sizable Hungarian minority in Slovakia. The Slovak part is today Komárno, Slovakia. In 1938 the entire city was returned to Hungary, its Regent, Admiral Horthy receiving a tumultuous welcome from the citizens as he crossed the old bridge and entered the formerly dismembered part. At the end of World War II the city was again divided between Hungary and Czecho-Slovakia.
After World War II the occupying Soviets built the country’s biggest ammunition storage in the Fortress of Monostor. Thousands of wagons of ammunition were forwarded from this strictly guarded area. One of a series of forts, the Monostor is today open to the public as a museum.
Komárom and Komárno are connected by two bridges: The older iron bridge, and a newer lifting bridge. A third bridge is planned, with the vast majority of funding coming from the European Union‘s Connecting Europe Facility.
The two towns used to be a border crossing between Czecho-Slovakia (today Slovakia) and Hungary, until both countries became part of the Schengen Area, resulting in all immigration and customs checks being lifted on December 12, 2007. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kom%C3%A1rom
Construction of bridge connecting Slovakia and Hungary launched
A new cross-border bridge connecting these two countries over the Danube River – through the towns of Komárno and Komárom – will fill the gap and in capacity.
Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico and his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orbán ceremonially launched on October 17the construction of a new cross-border bridge between Slovakia and Hungary over the Danube River, set to link the towns of Komárom on the Hungarian side and Komárno (in Nitra Region, in the southwestern part of the country) in Slovakia.
Komárno and Komárom used to form a single town on both banks of the Danube River in the Kingdom of Hungary. Following the First World War and the Treaty of Trianon, the border of the newly created Czechoslovakia cut the town in half.
There is currently only one road bridge, Elisabeth Bridge, connecting the two cities, the TASR newswire wrote. When the new 600-metre bridge across the Danube is completed, heavy lorries will be able to cross it, meaning that they will no longer have to pass through the centres of the two towns. The construction work on the bridge, which is being co-funded by EU funds, is expected to be completed by the end of 2019.
PMs praise cooperation
“It’s rarely seen in politics that when you shake hands, the deal is really valid,” Fico said in reference to the excellent state of Slovak-Hungarian bilateral relations, as quoted by TASR. “We meet politicians who shake hands but claim something else the following day.”
The Slovak PM also thanked the Hungarian side for keeping his promises vis-a-vis Slovakia.
On his side, Orbán stated that this event is a good example of the fact that the Danube does not have to separate Hungarians and Slovaks, but instead unite their two countries.
“Let the new bridge be a symbol of the defence of Europe’s external borders and keeping internal borders open, the Hungarian PM said.
“Let this be the proof that Slovaks and Hungarians, we, the citizens of Europe, believe in a Europe in which the borders are passable,” added Orbán, as quoted by TASR.
The overall costs of the project exceeds €117 million, while the EU funding covers 85 percent of the cost. Slovakia will provide €8 million, the Pravda daily wrote.
18. Oct 2017 at 14:45 | COMPILED BY SPECTATOR STAFF